A lawyer representing former president Donald Trump said Monday that Manhattan District Attorney Cy Vance has indicated he has no current plans to charge Trump personally in relation to an ongoing probe into the Trump Organization’s financial dealings. Attorney Ronald Fischetti told Politico the DA’s office said Trump won’t be hit with any charges when the first indictment in the case arrives, which could come as early as this week.
Fischetti met with Vance’s team last week and was told they are considering bringing charges against the Trump Organization and its individual employees related to alleged failures to pay taxes on corporate benefits and perks. It has been widely reported that those perks included cars and apartments and appear to only involve a small number of executives, perhaps including Trump Org CFO Allen Weisselberg.
Fischetti also said when he asked the DA’s team about any other charges, specifically relating to former Trump lawyer Michael Cohen’s allegations of hush-money payments, he was told, “no.”
Fischetti told Politico he expects charges to be filed in the case this week or next.
Some legal analysts caution to take what Fischetti says with a grain of salt.